Ascend Indiana (Ascend) is a fast-growing nonprofit on a mission to address Indiana’s workforce misalignment. Ascend’s vision is for Indiana to be a place of economic opportunity for all. An initiative of Central Indiana Corporate Partnership (CICP), Ascend collaborates with corporate, education, philanthropic, and community partners, and is well-positioned to play a leadership role in addressing Indiana’s workforce challenges.
The Career Mentor connects early-in-career talent to Indiana internship and career opportunities. The primary responsibilities of the Career Mentor include meeting with a high volume of students and recent graduates, understanding their motivations and interests, and ultimately connecting them to career pathways and opportunities in Indiana. This direct connection with talent is a critical piece of Ascend’s strategy to solve Indiana’s workforce gaps at scale. Finally, this individual supports the Director of Talent Program Management and the Vice President of Network Operations on high priority projects and initiatives as assigned.
To be successful in this role you must be...
Charismatic and energized by a high volume of personal interactions.
- You work with hundreds of candidates throughout the year in order to connect them to jobs, internships, or other work-based learning opportunities with Ascend’s employer partners.
- You adopt a sales- and recruitment-oriented mindset to conduct a high volume of meaningful one-on-one phone and in-person conversations daily with job seekers across the Midwest.
- You seek to identify students’ career interests, motivations, barriers, and align these with internship and job opportunities in the Ascend Network.
- You establish a relationship with every job seeker you meet to ensure they complete their Ascend Network profiles and understand how to navigate the platform.
- You act as the candidate’s trusted advocate, sharing new roles and working with them through the application process.
- You strategically email and text candidates throughout the week to encourage applications and connections to jobs and internships.
- You travel to college campuses to attend career fairs, classroom presentations, and other student engagement events in order to support recruitment of students to the Ascend Network.
- You support additional efforts to recruit job seekers to the Ascend Network as assigned.
Motivated by aggressive goals and driven to make an impact.
- You are organized and outcomes focused. You track your progress daily and react quickly if you are not on track to accomplishing your goals.
- You track everything in Ascend’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform, Microsoft Dynamics, and through individual and team dashboards, allowing you to evaluate outcomes and constantly increase your own effectiveness by implementing, testing, and tracking results of new job seeker engagement strategies.
- You evaluate data trends over time using both CRM and the Ascend Network to develop best practices for student engagement and relationship management.
- You break down goals and develop weekly, quarterly, and yearly plans to achieve organizational objectives.
- You manage and report against goals, priorities, and objectives to the Director of Talent Program Management and the Vice President of Network Operations.
- 3.0+ cumulative GPA from either an undergraduate or graduate institution.
- 1 - 3 years of experience in recruitment or sales preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of success in leading projects and achieving ambitious, quantifiable outcomes.
- A detail-oriented self-starter who can be given a need or objective, break it down into executable activities, identify questions that need to be asked, gather priorities and requirements, set and manage to milestones, and then execute effectively.
- Ability to learn new technologies, tools, and processes quickly. Proficiency in Microsoft Suite preferred.
- Track record of successfully working collaboratively within a team.
- Demonstrate ethical handling of confidential information.
- Manager: Director of Talent Program Management, Ascend Indiana
- Office location: 16 Tech, downtown Indianapolis with temporary hybrid work that requires team members to be in office on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday
- Work week: 40+ hours/week
- Travel: Statewide, 20% of the job will be remote on college/university campuses
CICP grants equal opportunity to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, disability, age, national origin, military service obligations, veteran status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law. CICP provides equal opportunity in wages, promotions, benefits, and all other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com or 317.464.5412.
Responsibilities for this role include interacting with student personally identifiable information (PII). As a condition of access, you are responsible for taking steps to protect the confidentiality of student PII in both electronic and physical form. All responsibilities relating to student PII must be conducted within the parameters of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).